So as another year rolls around and another TaPRA working group symposium looms on the horizon, what has happened in my performing arts-related research?
Happily, more than the scarce commentary on this blog might imply!
For one, I’ve started, delivered and finished work on a few other projects which are related to management of digital information in various cultural heritage and research contexts. One is the Incremental project for JISC and another, the DaMSSI project for JISC, the Digital Curation Centre and the Research Information Network. I’m also involved with the DigCurV (‘didge-curve’) project funded by the EC – this aims to make a training framework for digital curation in cultural heritage institutions. I’m also working as one of a team of three ‘evidence gatherers’ for the second iteration of the JISC Managing Research Data programme.
What of this has been specifically performing arts-related?
Well, under the auspices of Incremental, we held a day long seminar in February 2011 at the University of Glasgow on managing performing arts data, and there’s coverage of that on the Incremental project blog here.
I also attended a London meeting in March 2011 hosted by the JISC Kultivate project (which was based at the Visual Arts Data Service at the University of Creative Arts in Farnham) about my work on the UK performance practitioner survey – you can see the slides here. I’ve also spoken, again on the survey work, at the TaPRA documentation working group interim symposium in Canterbury in May 2011 (the agenda is here), and then at the TaPRA conference at Kingston University, London, in September 2011 (the programme is available here). I’ve also had useful conversations with curatorial staff from GlasgowLife, which is the brand under which the Glasgow museums and galleries service now operates, and I hope to continue work with them on performance in the gallery context. This has all been, naturally, in addition to the research project work listed above.
In addition to this, I have pitched the work as an MPhil to the University of Glasgow. I’m delighted that they went for it and so now I’m a student again – it’s great to have an excuse to spend time looking at this more! My next step is to revisit the data I’ve collected so far, write a narrative of why and how I did so, and reanalyse the data in a way I’m happier with in order to check my findings. I’ve also been invited to join the steering group of the JISC Kaptur project – again, hosted by VADS at Farnham, and am very much looking forward to their next meeting.
But as I say, there’s a TaPRA event looming – the next documentation working group is this weekend so I’d better finish my paper!